10 Magic Cards that Defined 2020

Tom AndersonCommunity

Toward the end of 2019 (so roughly 20 years ago by common reckoning), I published an article here counting down the new cards that had defined the year in Magic. It was a somewhat rare chance to highlight not only the cards and decks that won the most, but the way the year had changed the broader Magic community. I …

Lines in the Sand: Angle-Shooting in Magic

Tom AndersonCommunity

For all that we Magic players love to think analytically and break things down, there are still some hugely impactful blind spots in community discussion of the game. This week’s Magic Online Championships thrust one into the spotlight, as a controversial finish to Oliver Tiu vs. Michael Jacob led to fiery online debate about cheating, “angle-shooting” and the moral grey …

A Voice for Casual Magic: Shivam Bhatt

Tom AndersonCommunity

The impending release of Commander Legends feels like a big moment for Magic. It’s the clearest and most significant expression of WotC’s whole-hearted conversion to the cause of casual play. Commander and other casual formats have always been the underwater bulk of the Magic iceberg, but it took the rise of social media and content algorithms to really show it. …

Why Do Magic Players Love Innistrad?

Tom AndersonCommunity

Good evening, my readers of the night! We draw near to the spookiest night of the year, and so naturally I found myself pondering the most eerie and haunted periods in Magic history for this week’s article. The myth and imagery of horror have been a huge part of Magic since its earliest days. The game was barely a year …

Commander Kingdom

Card KingdomCommander, Community, Livestreams

Despite the challenges of COVID-19, Magic‘s Commander community is still going strong. In recent months, we’ve seen innovative new approaches to playing Commander and renewed engagement from players. It’s been incredible to see, and we’re happy to continue providing players with the cards and supplies they need. We also know that Commander players are always looking for new content about …

How to Customize Your Commander Decks

Kristen GregoryCommander, Community

One of the big draws of Commander for many people is the ability to customize your deck. Whether you’re a lover of janky tribal, have an appreciation for a favorite artist, or just really love a particular archetype, there are plenty of ways to put that personal stamp on your build.  Adding a personal touch is an easy way to …

Emma Handy’s Gruuling Grand Finals Adventure

Tom AndersonCommunity

It seemed destined by fate that Emma Handy — who helped rally the Magic community around the “No TERFs on Gruul Turf!” slogan — would end up crashing the Top 8 of a Worlds-level tournament with a red-green aggro deck. “Gruul Adventures was honestly the sort of eleventh hour audible you always hear about — but this time it worked.” …

A Pattern of Rebirth: Magic in 2020

Kristen GregoryCommunity

If you’ve played Magic for any length of time, you’ll be familiar by now with the sometimes annual and oftentimes more frequent cry that “Magic is dead!” Players who have been playing much longer than you and I will have rolled out this rhetoric many times, from the first reprints in Fourth Edition and Chronicles, to the introduction of Planeswalkers, …

What I Learned from my First Mythic Invitational

Chantelle CampbellCommunity

I’ve been playing Magic for over eight years now, and increasingly competitively for the last six. From Game Days to GP’s to PTQ’s, I’m really proud to say that my results have improved consistently over that time. But that all-important Pro Tour invite has always eluded me. Sure, there were some close calls — 12-3’s at Grand Prix, Top 16’s …

Balancing the Colors: An Interview with Ari Nieh

Tom AndersonCommunity

I’ve got something a little different for you this week, readers. For a while now I’ve been hoping to feature more regular interviews here on CK, so you can hear from other key figures in Magic instead of just me all the time. Today, I bring you the first (but not the last!) of these interviews!  Ari Nieh is a …