Strixhaven Predictions

Tom AndersonCommunity

Well we all had a ton of fun with Kaldheim, didn’t we! But the big Magic wheel is always turning, and it’s time to… wait. Isn’t this awful soon to be moving on from Kaldheim? That’s certainly how I reacted when WotC dropped their unexpected Strixhaven preview article back on February 18th. As the hype train left the station, they …

A History of the Power 9

Tom AndersonCommunity

Nearing three decades of shaping the gaming landscape, Magic: The Gathering stands apart from its many imitators because it is more than a game.  After years of constant evolution and vociferous growth, Magic has become a lifestyle for generations of players. A major esport, before we even had the word for that kind of professional competition. A true global community …

Most Metal Magic Cards

Tom AndersonCommunity

Happy New Year, my fellow magicians! We all made it through 2020 — now let’s celebrate with a hearty headbanging session. Maybe throw in a bit of haircopter, if you’re well-coiffured. Yes, we’re continuing to wind ourselves up for the release of Kaldheim, the first Magic set to overtly claim inspiration from the heavy metal subculture. Personally, I think this …

5 Things I Learned Playing Magic in 2020

Mason ClarkCommunity

The year is winding down, and the whole Magic world is waiting for Kaldheim previews to start next week. With things relatively calm before the massive storm Kaldheim is sure to bring, I thought it might be nice to take this time to reflect on the past year. While looking back, I realized that five of my favorite cards from …

Trans and Nonbinary Representation in Magic

Alex KatzCommunity

Wizards of the Coast has announced an exciting new Planeswalker character for Kaldheim: Niko Aris, a hero from Theros who uses they/them pronouns. A recent interview with the Creative team got players hyped to have a new, sympathetic, nonbinary character in Magic whose story isn’t all about their gender. Let’s take a look at how we got here, through the …

MTG Holiday Mailbag: 2020

Michael RappCommunity

Hello everyone, as we get into the heart of the holiday season, I’m taking a break from my usual strategy content. Instead, I wanted to do something a little more fun. I fielded some questions from the folks that follow me on Twitter and picked some of my favorites. Let’s jump right into them! If you could make any card …

Planeswalker Gift Guide

Michelle Rapp and Spice8RackCommunity

Michelle: It’s that time of the year, when we realize that we’ve completely forgotten to obtain gifts for the people in our lives who expect them. Luckily, both Spice8Rack and I are here to help! Combining our in-depth knowledge of lore and impeccable taste, here is a go-to list for gifts based on your recipient’s favorite planeswalker! Spice8Rack: That’s right! Whether your …

Magic in 2020: 10 Cards that Exceeded Expectations

Scott CullenCommunity

2020 has been a wild ride for everyone, and not something that anyone could have predicted. As the year draws to a close, we can look back on Magic’s landscape and survey the aftermath. The Year of Commander has left its mark on the game forever, and the major expansions of 2020 brought increasingly powerful cards into Standard and beyond. …