Wizards Clarifies Rules Text of Two Crimson Vow Cards

Wizards Clarifies Rules Text of Two Crimson Vow Cards

Tom AndersonCommunity

Shortly after eagle-eyed players spotted some discrepancies in the Crimson Vow Commander card spoilers, WotC has clarified the correct rules, including some rare day-zero card errata.  The new partner commander option Kamber, the Plunderer was previewed with two conflicting versions of its triggered ability. We now know that the “whenever a creature an opponent controls dies” version, shown on the …

combo crash course

Combo Crash Course: Splinter Twin

Tom AndersonCommunity

For many Magic players, combo decks offer the most exciting and interesting way to play the game. They appeal to us on many levels: the cheeky thrill of “getting away with something”, the intellectual satisfaction of winning at one stroke, as though cutting the Gordian knot. Combos also embody the creativity and discovery inherent to CCGs, giving players the chance …

top 20 zombie cards in magic

Top 20 Zombie Cards in Magic: The Gathering

Tom AndersonCommunity

A few weeks ago, I explored a ranking of the most hair-raisingly impressive Werewolf cards in Magic, including a few big dogs freshly printed in Innistrad: Midnight Hunt. Well, that’s not the only classic horror-monster tribe I’ll be ranking — I just needed an extra week to stitch this one together… There are just SO MANY incredible Zombie cards in …

Crimson Vow Predictions

Innistrad: Crimson Vow Predictions

Tom AndersonCommunity

How goes the haunting, my fellow magicians of the macabre? We’re getting deep into the spooky season now; Halloween approaches, and with it, the sinister intermission between the two halves of Magic’s ongoing Innistrad double feature! Yes, there’s still plenty of screams to wring out of Innistrad: Midnight Hunt in the remaining month before Innistrad: Crimson Vow hits shelves. Indeed, …

Top 10 Wolf and Werewolf Cards in Magic

Top 10 Wolf and Werewolf Cards in Magic: The Gathering

Tom AndersonCommunity

“The moon waxes, full and gibbous above Innistrad. Gather round, my packmates! I see many new eyes amid the darkness — as we would expect our numbers to grow during this time of endless moonrise, this… Midnight Hunt.” “But wait! The new blood among us must know who leads the pack before they can play their part in this glorious …

Ranking the Planes: Where Will Magic Return Next?

Tom AndersonCommunity, Magic Story

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt will be the 90th MTG expansion — a new Standard set which takes place on a particular named world, or plane, within Magic’s multiverse. For the first decade of expansion sets, the multiverse was more of a storytelling conceit or source for new villains, with the majority of sets taking place on Magic’s “home plane” of Dominaria. …

Innistrad Midnight Hunt

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt Predictions

Tom AndersonCommunity

For last year’s Halloween, I put together a retrospective on Innistrad, Magic’s original spooky gothic horror set and a perennial pick for Best Set Ever. This year for Halloween, it seems like I’ll be writing about Innistrad once more – but in the present tense! WotC has started to drip feed us details on the previously-mysterious Innistrad sets coming later …

card kingdom partners with TopDecked

Card Kingdom Partners with TopDecked

Tom AndersonCommunity

When Card Kingdom asked me if I’d like to write about the TopDecked app this week, I was mostly excited about putting another Magic tool to the test. As someone who’s spent a lot of time thinking about the game and hoarding huge stacks of cards, I’ve been through a ton of different apps and websites since my first Gatherer …